Years are made up of moments that become memories that would last a life time. Though moments are fleeting and time may slip from our hands, we try to remember and cling to those moments. They need not necessarily be as extravagant as travelling around the world or going on YOLO adventures . They might be mundane moments spent in silence that go unnoticed by others. It is however good to look back at these certain points of what has elapsed – to try fit in a timeline what has been. I believe that it is in looking back that we may learn (even if our memories are imperfect.) Please bear with me as I dissect my 2013 experiences.
Some may say that we dream to travel to rid ourselves of the permanence or mundane living. But I have always sought out to travel because I see it as an opportunity to meet people, learn about different cultures, marvel at
the beauty that the world has to offer and take home those lessons. In 2013, God has taken me to places but has always led me back home.
- Paris, France for the Go Green in the City 2013 Global Challenge (with stopovers in Guangzhou and Amsterdam)
- Jakarta, Indonesia for the Go Green in the City 2013 – East Asia (with stopover in Singapore)
- Nara, Kyoto and Osaka, Japan for the 2-week internship at Nara Institute of Science and Technology
- Cabiao, Neuva Ecija, Philippines for the Ignatian Build organized by Gawad Kalinga – Ateneo
- Batangas, Philippines for the ARSA Batch 2013 outing
- Pampanga, Philippines for the PLDT Student Camp Tour
- Baguio City, Philippines for a weekend with friends (Boat 2) which became a food trip
- Dumaguete, Philippines for a time well spent with friends and family 🙂
THE EVENTS (The firsts, the reunions and YOLO adventures)
- My first time to see a shooting star! It happened while I was walking with DMC friends to Manila Observatory. It was magical! And yes, I made a wish. 🙂
- Adventures with my roomie, Angela — Spring Film Festival @ Shangri-La, Close-up Summer Solstice (Thanks to Jordz David for the tickets!), Birthday Celebrations, movie nights (Life of Pi, Bakit Di Ka Crush ng Crush Mo, Tuhog, etc.)
- Hotel Mulia Room 804 with the GGitC – East Asia participants :> (What happens in Jakarta, stays in Jakarta!)
- Got lost in Paris! (with Enzo, Mita, Adam, Ujjwala, Aybuke, Abhishek, Sindhu, Surhendar)
- HS mini reunion in C&L Hotel (“after party” in Hayahay)
- Catching up with the A Team over KTV, Lunch and cups of coffee
- Observing the passing of time just sitting outside Starbucks in SM Aura
- ARSA Chorale practices and that Blue Harmonies related performances.
- Random Binondo trip with DMC friends
- Hours of waiting in the airport..Twice in Mactan Airport and NAIA Terminal 2 (Oh hi, France Tan!)
- Painful and sad arguments 😦 (I’m sorry)
I think that it is the people who we are with who make the event or trip memorable. In 2013, I was blessed to have the company of friends. I also got to meet a lot of people during the trips. And I would like to take this opportunity to thank the people who made 2013 complete.
While catching up with an old friend over a cup of tea, we came to talk about how we have moved on in some ways but remained friends. That conversation made me realize that relationships indeed can be fragile IF you let it be and the passing of time would continually test these relationships. Bottom line: Fight for people who are worth keeping in your lives.
2013 has strengthened my notions about dreams. First, We should dream BIG so that if we fall short of that BIG dream, it will still be a little bigger than just a dream. Second, The only way to turn dreams into a reality is to do something about it.
We also need to learn to have a disposition that is grateful for each moment is a gift, that is hopeful, and a disposition that is open for all the possibilities that God can do with our lives. Prayers are heard and dreams do come true.
It was a great ride, 2013!